Monday, December 3, 2018

Neutral vs Color: Where to Spend Your Money

I was talking to a friend the other day about decorating stuff and she asked me a question, which inspired this post. She was showing me some bedding and asked which one I thought was best. Both were great and fairly neutral. One was gray and the other was tan/white striped with some fringe on it. I told her this one thing that I want all of you to know... on the big purchases in your home - a couch, beds, chairs, end tables - buy neutral colors. Then add in pops of color in the smaller things - art on the walls, flowers in pink vases, blankets, or you could even add in a fun colored accent wall with either paint or wallpaper.

I have found that my design choices have evolved over the years. For a while i liked lots of color in my home. A few years ago I bought a blue and white chair and while it was on clearance, it still cost $180. For the past 2 years I've been wondering how much it would cost to buy a neutral colored slip cover for it! My style is changing for our new home and I'm leaning towards a lot of neutral colors. I am very glad that our bigger purchases are neutral so that I won't have to go buy new.

Source: Google

Source: Google

I would recommend that anything you want to keep long term, buy neutral. These items are usually expensive and not something you'd want to change out once a year. I like to buy white curtains for my main living space, wood or metal end tables, my bedding is white with black trim, my couches are beige or gray, white cozy chairs, my dining room table is black, dining chairs are a light gray, my rugs are also neutral because they are usually not cheap. 

Source: Google

For items that are easy to change out, buy those things in fun pops of color. These items are usually cheaper and more budget friendly when you want to change them. Wall art is a cheap thing to change. Buy a neutral frame and then you can find free images online to print out and swap a few times a year. You could add color in with blankets and pillows on your couch. Vases are also a great item to buy in color. You can even spray paint them down the road if you get tired of the color. 

Source: Google

Source: Google

I hope this helps when you're out shopping for items for your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment