Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Spring Cleaning Challenge: Week 2

If you followed along last week, you remember we started our Spring (or Summer!) Cleaning Challenge with some decluttering. My spell check says that "decluttering" is not a word but it totally is in my mind so I'm going with it.

This weeks challenge may require a bit more time. In fact, it took me about 30 minutes but it is so worth it.

Ready for it? Cleaning out the refrigerator. We're talking serious scrubbing and making it shine like the day you brought it home.

I try to take all the food out of my fridge about once a month and give the shelves a quick scrub down. However, sometimes a month goes by and it doesn't happen. This time I decided to go all.the.way and even take out the shelves (which I normally don't do). They desperately needed it.

Let's start shall we? This is my before. It looks like I have no room but it's really because things aren't organized. The scary part is what's hiding underneath all this food!


The reason we fell in love with this fridge was this extra compartment in the door. Love it!


Let's be real. Salad dressings expire, you forget to use the wheat germ you bought 8 months ago and that lime bottle you bought for 1 recipe expired about a year ago. Ok, maybe that was an exaggeration but it's time to throw away all the expired stuff. NOW!


Take everything out of your fridge. Or if you're like me and don't know how many minutes in a row your kids will leave you alone for, I did a section at a time. I checked all the expiration dates and got rid of a few things. I took my trusty rags and Thieves spray and cleaned this baby out. (The vinegar solution in this post would work great too.)
 
Look how it sparkles!


Make sure you not only clean out the drawers, but every square inch of your refrigerator. Every plastic piece, the doors, even the top of the inside of the fridge.

This side was full of salad dressings that expired a month or so ago or were about to expire. Now I have room!!


I love corn on the cob this time of year. My husband and kids are probably already sick of it. :) But man does it leave a mess!


I took my dust buster and got rid of all the strings it leaves behind.


Then polished it off with a rag and my spray.


Next up are the shelves. I'm totally ashamed to show you all the dirt found under these things. Brace yourselves, it may look like a scene from a horror movie!


Ewwwwww!!


Gag!! It was totally time to take out the glass shelves. Which was super easy to do, they came right out.

I cleaned off the glass insert (it's still wet here).


And then went to work on all that nastiness. Just a bunch of crumby things and they came off easily.


I made my way around to the other shelves and drawers, making sure they sparkled and reorganized as I went.


I know we have those handy dandy fruit and veggie drawers but I believe in the saying "out of sight, out of mind." If I don't have those fruits and veggies right in front of my face, I will most likely forget about them. I also like using glass containers and washing my produce so I don't have to take the time to do it when I'm starving. I do keep apples, cucumbers and carrots in a drawer and then things like bananas, nectarines, plums, etc.. are on my counter.






Knowing that every piece of this refrigerator is squeaky clean makes me feel so much better. Now it's your turn! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment