Friday, February 20, 2015

Finding the Spark

When we moved into our second home there were just so many things wrong with it. It was cheap a fixer upper. Two-thirds of the house was built in 1860 so it needed some work. It had low ceilings on the second level, bathrooms that should go back to where they came from, and a kitchen that needed a magical wand placed over it to bring it into the current century. 

{Sorry for the blurry pictures. This was before I had a cool phone with a cool camera}



Can you see how low these ceilings are? Right to the door frame!




Then the rest of the house was built around 1970. They added a huge living room and a gigantic master bedroom (thank you whoever you are). However, the wood paneling and orange brick fireplace did not hold a special place in my heart. And that ceiling... it taunted me every single day. This was our main living space so changing this room was a priority to make mama happy!

 
 


{We completely renovated this bathroom so keep your eyes out for the reveal soon!}

When we bought this home I had a 13 month old, was 6 months pregnant and worked 50 hours a week. I had no time for HGTV, decorating magazines, or even a precious moment to look up paint colors on the internet. I was CLUELESS. My passion for decorating was born out of two things: the desire to bring life into our 150 year old home and the mistakes I made while doing it.

Now with our third {forever home}, I have every intention of making it the home we've always dreamed of. The possibilities are endless and I have all the time in the world. With our last 2 homes we knew they weren't forever homes. They were only ours for a few years and we were always thinking about investment return and if the next home owners would like this or that. But now I can take my time adding board and batten, bead board, fixing up bathrooms, coming up with new DIY projects, and making it OURS. My passion is to make this home a place we can feel comfortable in and enjoy being in.



I will say that I am proud of where I have come with my skills but I have learned so many things along the way and I am excited to share them all with you. Come back for Monday's post where I'll share Part 1 of our Kitchen Renovation!

No comments:

Post a Comment