Thursday, February 19, 2015

DIY Foaming Hand Soap

I have only been making my own hand soap for about 8 months now but I am hooked! It's super easy and the best part is, it's cheap. I was paying between $2.50-3.00 every time we ran out of foaming soap. With 3 bathrooms and a kitchen sink to keep soap at, they were getting replaced quite often. But now it's costing me just pennies every time I make up a new batch. And it's not complicated at all, I promise.

At first I just reused a grocery store plastic dispenser that was out of soap. I wanted to make sure this was something the whole family was going to enjoy before I went and bought a more permanent solution (well really my husband wasn't sure this fad of mine was going to last... guess I proved him wrong!). It didn't take long for me to purchase one from Amazon (love that place!).

I use Dr. Bronner's Soap. I think there are like 100 uses for this stuff. You can wash your body with it, shave your legs with it, wash your dog with it, or as we are doing, wash your hands with it. It comes in a variety of scents and so far I have collected 4: Citrus Orange, Lavender, Baby scent and Almond. I mean, who wouldn't want to smell like a baby??



First I needed to clean my awesome dispenser because it had been a while since the last refill.



I emptied her out and cleaned her up (yes my soap dispensers are girls).


This specific dispenser has lines that tell you how much soap to put in and then how far to fill it up with water. No complicated math equations here! I chose Lavender this time around and filled it up to the little bubble line.


Note to self: Find a better background for my pictures other than the table where my kids eat. I spy with my little eye a green booster seat!

Then fill the dispenser with water up to the line.

Now she's beautiful and all ready to be used.



I do occasionally have to shake up the dispenser to re-mix the soap and water but it only takes a second and so far hasn't really been a hassle for me.

Now we can all keep those germs away this winter and smell like lavender at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment