Monday, May 18, 2015

A Mirror Makeover (And a Decorating Tip)

My living room is still a blank slate. Besides the couch and my DIY Whitewash Fireplace. However, I think my vision is almost complete in my head.



I have learned from my past mistakes to fully get a vision in my mind before I make any purchases or go crazy with DIY projects. I used to buy little knick knacks at a thrift store, picture frames that I wasn't sure where they would go but man they were on a good sale, or random décor pieces that when I got home really had nowhere to go.

I never thought about a room as a whole. Instead it was this section or this wall or what could go on this shelf. But then the room would never seem complete or even put together. You really need to think about the space and how it will all function and look once finished. Plan out all the details so you're not buying some expensive piece of furniture only to realize it won't work with your color scheme in the end.

It does take patience to work this way because this process takes time. Probably months but maybe even a year or two. We have lived in our house for 3 1/2 months now and I think my vision for my living room is complete so now it will probably take a few more months to get some DIY projects done and buy the things I need.

Side note: No other room in the house is complete so this will be the first room to get done! Patience and time my friends.

Let's get back to the good stuff. I have this mirror that is a copper-brown color. It worked very well in our last house but definitely looks out of place in our new home with my color scheme. Of course spray paint immediately popped into my mind!

I purchased this mirror at Lowe's and I believe they still have it in stock.


I cleaned the mirror off with a rag because it had been sitting in the basement for a few months it needed cleaning. I also had a helper. :)


Then she was tapped off! I used a construction like paper from my kid's art easel to cover the mirror portion (although newspaper would work too). Frog Tape helped to keep the paper in place and also covered up any holes. I recommend using very small pieces of tape on any circle project.



I took the mirror to my spray painting cardboard box outside and gave it a coat of primer. There's not many projects I use primer on but this mirror had a shiny finish and I wanted to make sure the final outcome was perfect.


This is the primer I used and this lovely spray paint is quickly becoming my favorite. It is gorgeous! I now want to spray paint everything in this silver metallic color. I need something else to spray ASAP!


Here she is... the final product. I am very happy with how it turned out.



The whole reason for my little rant up above is because this mirror is going to go in the living room. I found this picture a few months ago and immediately fell in love. The wooden shelves are gorgeous and the layout is simply divine.


The clock is beautiful but I already have one in the room so I thought my mirror would be a great replacement. Keep an eye out on the blog because these shelves are already in progress! Bring on the second trimester DIY projects. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment